Shoot the ghosts to survive as long as possible in this infinite platformer shooter! How high can you score?
Earn points by shooting ghosts, and spend tokens on a shotgun to make killing Ghosts even easier!
This is my Game Jam game for Portland Indie Game Squad's Summer Slow Jam for June 2019. The Game Jam is centered around making arcade games, with a theme of "Occult Classic".
Please play this in Chrome - it's the browser I tested it on!
I did all the art and programming for this myself. My tools were:
- Godot Game Engine with GDScript
External assets used are credited below:
This is my first original game that I'm releasing anywhere. I wanted to enter a Game Jam to accelerate my learning of game development. I also enjoy arcade style games that combine platforming and shooting such as Super Crate Box and Super Mutant Alien Assault, so I wanted to try my hand at the genre. In general, my goals for this Game Jam were as follows:
- Submit a game that's playable for the Jam.
- Learn Godot (beyond just toying around with it).
- Make a platformer.
- Get better at Pixel art. For an added challenge (since I was feeling retro) I made tiles and player / enemy sprites fit into 8x8 tiles.
- Experiment with AI concepts involving path-finding and flocking.
I'm pretty happy with how this Jam went, though I wish I had time to do the following:
- Implement more guns (I only had time to do the shotgun). The guns I would have gone for would have been 1) dual pistols, 2) a sniper (guaranteed 1 shot), 3) a laser.
- Prototype different difficulty curves to land on one that feels the best.